Monday, February 23, 2009

Before I'm Gone.....



I was up last night looking at the Oscar (which was VERY inspiring) and I thought about all the artists, writers, and musicians who died early. And how people only give them that special love after they are dead. Most visual artist are not understood or studies until after their death. Can you name a black artist (TODAY) that has gotten that same fame, praise, money and following since Jean-Michel Basquiat? I know A LOT of talented artists and I often think will they became rich from their God given talent? Or will they just be another no name artist with the lack of business sense? Am I selfish to want it ALL when I'm still alive on Earth? I don't want to be another famous dead artist, I want the people to feel my work of art right now. I want the people to understand my story and my past while I'm alive. And of course I want the money also...I have a wife, 3 kids, a family, a crew and MANY goals and dreams I have to make come true. When Jax passed away a few months ago, it woke me up. You never know when today will be your last day...and you never understand an artist until you understand where they came from and why they are the way they are...Words inspire me and words and visual things inspire my art, so support your local artists...to create something from nothing is genius, so don't wait until the artist is died to start studying their art and their history...do it while their alive...you never know what your words can do to an artist work.

1 comment:

13 said...

Im loving that black and white Basquiat pic!